Friday, 26 October 2012

Progress by the UK border agency

In about July I got stuck in with planning the border to add to the fab star centre block in Round One of the UK Border Agency Bee.  At first various fabrics got pulled to audition.  I also posted a pic with various fabric options for approval.   

Not having done something like this before (a medallion quilt) I was not sure how to get started and so read up a little bit and found that traditionally each border would be not less than 3 inches wide so that after it was added, it widened the size of the quilt by 6 inches.  That kinda gave me an idea of the size of flying gees I wanted to add, but first felt that a solid strip all the way around would help to define the different borders and also allow for new colours to be introduced.

So I started drawing out some flying geese on graph paper and found it very helpful in more than one way.  I knew that by using the graph paper drawing as foundation to sew on, the seams would be accurate, it would be easier to trim and keep tidy and make the strip stable until it was sewn onto the centre block.

This is what the finished block with it's full first border looks like and even though it is not perfect, I'm pretty chuffed with it.  It's going to be fun to keep tabs on it and see how it grows.

Sunday, 7 October 2012

[Bow] Tie [and] a few stars

Some time ago I was lucky enough to get into two of the Hives in the 3 x 6 Sampler Quilt Mini Bee Flickr group.

In each Hive there are seven members (including yourself) and each member gets to set out their choice of three colours and one background colour that they would like you to use when you make their block.  Then you make six blocks in the same design only varying the colour and send each member a block in the colours they requested.  You can of course make yourself a block in the same design, in your own colour choice and keep it to add to those you receive from everyone else. 
The first of the Hives I got in to was for star blocks.  At first I tried to make the 8 pointed star and struggled so with the y-seam that the sample block was an epic fail.  I tried again using a different method and the block ended up 16" instead of 12 1/2" (12" when finished).  So I went back to the drawing board (my library of quilting and patchwork books).

I know I'm very lucky to be able to have collected some super books and magazines that are filled with ideas, inspiration and patterns.  The result was these blocks.  They're pretty cool to make and I was very pleased with the result.  I hope they are well received in their new homes.  
Then it was time to make blocks for the second Hive.  The theme that was chosen for this Hive was traditional block patterns.  Ever since I saw what Katy did with her bow tie blocks, I've wanted to try them and am so glad I did.  They come together really easy and I think they would be brilliant use for scraps you may want to use them up.  I didn't use scraps though.  Quite a few of these fabrics were on my shopping list when I went to FOQ this year.

The sun is out, the washing is ready to be hung up and there are onions to plant before the weather changes.  See ya soon xx


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...