Monday, 20 May 2013

Constructing a spiderweb

Back in early 2010 I belonged to a quilting bee called Sew2Speak.  It was a time when the spider web quilt block was all the rage and I wanted to try it.  As usual I didn't want it to be like everyone elses and decided to arrange the blocks in rainbow style.  First I drew a diagram of the layout, then cut the colour strips and the grey centres.



It took the better part of the day to lay out all the strips and then pin them onto template paper which was marked with it's row number. 

I almost slept on the floor that night.

My fellow quilt bee members were very indulgent and followed my layout request to a T.   

 After the quilt blocks had all arrived safely, it was time to join them together.



I made a backing from bits of flannel sheeting leftover from other quilt backings and some oddments of fabric. Vacuumed the carpet extra especially clean, laid out the backing, pinned it down, sprayed some 505 spray (it works quite well) and then laid the top down.


Before I could pin it I had to untangle the pins - a wiggle to the left and a wiggle to the right and they all fell down.


I've quilted it in light grey thread on top and a pale blue in the bobbin to match the backing.  Stitching was done 'in the ditch'.  It's three years later and the only step that remains is the binding.  I've not yet decided which colour to use for the binding, although I am leaning towards the red. What do you think? Done in grey.

AmysCreativeSide.com
AmysCreativeSide.com


Edit:  I've just found the Blogger's Quilt Festival Spring 2013 over on Amy's Creative Side and have entered this quilt into the categories for : Group/Bee group, Scrap quilt, Throw quilt, Colour wheel quilt.  Please go and have a look at the other entries.  Don't forget to vote (for me of course) as there are wonderful prizes to be won.


9 comments:

  1. So has it been a UFO since 2010 or is this a looking back post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kerry, it was a UFO. I'm trying not to start anything new as there are quite a few UFO's / WIP's that need finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely quilt. I like the grey background. It enhances the colors

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love spiderwebs - this is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like a rainbow of roses in bloom from afar. I really like the variety of greys in the background too - very very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love rainbows, and this is just great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I love the variegated grays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its always fun to see how other work! well done!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, say Hi, or better still you can leave a comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...