Sunday, 7 October 2012

[Bow] Tie [and] a few stars


Some time ago I was lucky enough to get into two of the Hives in the 3 x 6 Sampler Quilt Mini Bee Flickr group.

In each Hive there are seven members (including yourself) and each member gets to set out their choice of three colours and one background colour that they would like you to use when you make their block.  Then you make six blocks in the same design only varying the colour and send each member a block in the colours they requested.  You can of course make yourself a block in the same design, in your own colour choice and keep it to add to those you receive from everyone else. 
The first of the Hives I got in to was for star blocks.  At first I tried to make the 8 pointed star and struggled so with the y-seam that the sample block was an epic fail.  I tried again using a different method and the block ended up 16" instead of 12 1/2" (12" when finished).  So I went back to the drawing board (my library of quilting and patchwork books).

I know I'm very lucky to be able to have collected some super books and magazines that are filled with ideas, inspiration and patterns.  The result was these blocks.  They're pretty cool to make and I was very pleased with the result.  I hope they are well received in their new homes.  
Then it was time to make blocks for the second Hive.  The theme that was chosen for this Hive was traditional block patterns.  Ever since I saw what Katy did with her bow tie blocks, I've wanted to try them and am so glad I did.  They come together really easy and I think they would be brilliant use for scraps you may want to use them up.  I didn't use scraps though.  Quite a few of these fabrics were on my shopping list when I went to FOQ this year.

The sun is out, the washing is ready to be hung up and there are onions to plant before the weather changes.  See ya soon xx




1 comment:

  1. All of those blocks are really lovely, I like your colour choices. I've never heard of quilting hives before, sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, say Hi, or better still you can leave a comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...