Tuesday, 8 March 2011

Dragonflies

In 1997 this cushion was a birthday gift from my old home group in South Africa. It has three dragonflies embroidered in the middle and the names of the members of the group around the sides. The day I unwrapped it, it made me so heartsore and homesick and reminded me of the special people I miss so much. (Yes, I cried.)

At an inaugoral meeting of the group many years ago we decided to call ourselves 'The Dragonflies'. In Afrikaans, a South African language that is most similar to Flemish, dragonflies are called 'naaldestekers' which directly translated into English means 'needle sticks'. So whever we go back to South Africa on holiday I try and make a point of getting to see them, usually at the fortnightly get together at someones home.

If I remember correctly, this is Maureen's quilt (she is always smiling!). Looks similar to the Bento Box pattern. Maureen is one of those disciplined people who are able to do only one thing at a time and finish each project before starting the next one. Oh, looking at my pile of UFO's I so wish I could be like that.

This brightly coloured quilt is by a new(ish) member, Lorraine. I had only met her once before and she just seems to have fitted in seamlessly into the group. I'm so pleased because in the last year 2 of the original members have 'retired'. More on them later.

This quilt is Penny's, she is on the right. Apparently Maureen (on the left) also made a similar quilt. Maureen told us that they have a book with a whole load (about 100) of block patterns and they had each made a quilt using blocks from the book. I don't know the name of the book but will email her to ask if anyone is interested. After the Show-and-tell Penny explained that the quilt on the left was made using a Jelly Roll that had been a gift to her.

These ladies are very gifted and have produced some really beautiful quilts. I'm going to see if I can dig out some old pictures to show you in future posts. I was the baby in the group and they were always so supportive and caring when I was having 'single mom hiccups' all those years ago.

Edit: Maureen tells me that:

"the book is called:
Sylvia's Bridal Sampler from Elm Creek Quilts, by Jennifer Chiaverini.
ISBN 978-1-57120-655-8

There are 140 blocks. I only made 41 and Penny made 42 - difference is mine was on point and hers was not."

Thanks Maureen

1 comment:

  1. Love these dragonflies - anything dragonfies and I'm addicted!! Gorgeous pillow :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, say Hi, or better still you can leave a comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...