Wednesday, 11 August 2010

Pets on quilts

This is picture of my Dustyboy. I was given him as an orphan and we loved each other for many years. He was also my quilting companion, he would sit on my lap when I was sewing, lie on top of the fabric that needed cutting or on top of the quilt that was being quilted. Any pile of blocks that were part of a WIP immediately became a cat bed. So, it should be no surprise that when I got up to go and get a cup of tea he took over prime spot on top of this quilt.

The quilt is made of South African made schwe schwe fabric. When I first got the fabric it was washed three times, until the colour no longer bled and then after drying and ironing, cut into four inch squares. These squares were sewn together and looked absolutely awful so I unpicked the whole thing. Then I tried the sewing the squares with sashing and it still looked horrible and so it was unpicked again!. After that the blocks got packed away and lay in the cupboard for about ten years.

One day when looking for something else they got dug up and and I decided to have another bash. Each square was cut into two triangles and a strip of white sashing was placed down the middle and then the blocks were trimmed back to 4 inches.

This time the quilt came together like magic and I was soo pleased with the end result. Do you see that little piece of red sticking out of the pile? Well, it's the one and only red block and I decided to place it strategically where your heart would be when you're lying under the quilt.

As the blocks were done they were placed on the design wall and it looked like a jigsaw puzzle. Each day a space was filled until the whole of the top was done. Once the top was assembled it was pinned and quilted by stitching in the ditch. It is also backed with schwe schwe fabric. Sadly I don't have a photo of the back or the label which was embroidered because you would see that it is called 'She's come undone'.

Before I left South Africa to come to the UK I gave the quilt to my late brother and I know that he used it a lot when camping in the bush. I'm glad it had a loving home and still has with my Sue, my sister-in-law.

Why am I telling you all of this? Firstly, it is probably my favourite of all the quilts I've made, secondly, you haven't seen it yet, and lastly it is my entry into the competition, Pets on Quilts, that is being held by SewCalGal.

16 comments:

  1. Your Dustyboy is super cute. So glad he found you. And what a beautiful quilt too Loved all the insights you have shared. Just delightful.

    I tried to email you, but you have your settings as a no reply blogger. You may want to change (or not). But if you need help, let me know. Also, I didn't see you on the page where all the quilt entries are linked: http://sewcalgal.blogspot.com/2010/08/pets-on-quilts-show.html

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love it, and the story that goes with it, and your Dustyboy. Thank you for showing us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's a really neat story. The quilt really came together nicely. I don't know how you had the patience to unpick it TWICE! And Dustyboy certainly looks like he owns that quilt. (Pretty Kitty.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderfully touching story, thankyou so much for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the story behind your quilt and the little bit of red for your heart!! What a wonderful idea.

    Dustyboy is adorable :)
    Thank you for sharing,
    SheilaC

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely story about your special quilt, and your special cat! Thanks for participating so all of us in quilt blogland could read it and admire both the quilt and the kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the story that goes with this quilt! I have never heard of South African schwe schwe fabric. It sounds interesting. I love how you used the red block in the quilt. Your Dusty Boy must have been a big helper in your sewing room! Oh, and I almost forgot.... I love your header!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darling kitty, beautiful quilt, and wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love latice quilts - the blues are great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dustyboy is wonderful, I like the way he's laying right at the heart on the quilt. Beautiful quilt, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dustyboy is adorable. Thanks for sharing your wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Third time is a charm with this quilt? Great story. Love the thgought behind the red fabric. Dustyboy does a great job modeling the quilt!
    nsue21702 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful story. If there is one thing that quilting has taught me, it is patience and love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your quilt! And your cat is cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your story about your quilt and how you unpicked it so many times before it was perfect. It really is beautiful and your Dustboy sure is cute!
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, say Hi, or better still you can leave a comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...